Current:Home > reviewsProsecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009 -Quantum Capital Pro
Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:21:13
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The local prosecutor and family of the victim are calling for a man’s murder conviction to be vacated after a review by the Minnesota attorney general concluded he’s innocent.
Jurors in 2009 found Edgar Barrientos-Quintana guilty of killing 18-year-old Jesse Mickelson in a drive-by shooting. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
But after a three-year investigation, Attorney General Keith Ellison’s Conviction Review Unit in August released a damning report of Minneapolis police’s original investigation that also cited evidence supporting Barrientos-Quintana’s alibi.
Barrientos-Quintana last month asked a judge to vacate his conviction based on the report. On Monday, the Hennepin County attorney and Mickelson’s sisters said they support his release.
“It’s been 16 years, but I would rather have no conviction than the wrong conviction,” Mickelson’s sister Tina Rosebear said at a news conference.
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said she will dismiss charges against Barrientos-Quintana if the judge vacates his conviction.
Security footage placed Barrientos-Quintana at a grocery story shortly before the shooting, and the attorney general’s office pointed to phone records not presented at trial that placed him at his girlfriend’s suburban apartment shortly after the shooting. The Conviction Review Unit determined that he could not have traveled to and from the crime scene in that time.
The reviewers also cast blame on police, who showed an old photo of Barrientos-Quintana with a shaved head to eyewitnesses who had described the suspect as being bald. Security footage showed Barrientos-Quintana had short, dark hair at the time of the shooting.
“Unfortunately, after Mr. Barrientos became a suspect in the shooting, the state’s investigation failed to seriously consider and rule out plausible alternative suspects,” a news release from the attorney general said.
Minneapolis police do not support Barrientos-Quintana’s bid for freedom.
Chief Brian O’Hara in a statement said he’s worried Barrientos-Quintana “will be set free based only on a reinterpretation of old evidence rather than the existence of any new facts.”
“I am confident our investigators acted with the utmost integrity and professionalism and followed all the evidence available to them using investigative best practices,” O’Hara said.
veryGood! (68995)
Related
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Ranking
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US